Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Spiritual Disciplines

I am fascinated by spiritual disciplines. I am so inspired by and admire people who fast and are committed to practicing spiritual disciplines/practices in preparation for something, in thanksgiving, or in honor of God.

I am not good at fasting. The couple of times I've tried it, I've gotten really sick. Last night I was having a conversation with a good friend about fasting. She pointed out that I may be taking the discipline of 'fasting' too literally. She shared that sometimes she will fast from music, or only eat cereal for a day or two, or fast from television.

She then pointed out that I DO fast from time to time. For lent last year, I gave up eating at restaurants if I was paying for it. The reasoning behind it was that I wanted to remember that I can enjoy a simple life and don't suffer from not being able to do 'luxury' things. I don't need to live my life the way man/society has pushed me: to overspend and indulge in unhealthy meals as a form of recreation or hanging out with friends.

I have decided that the month of October is going to be another fast for me in that same sense. With the economic issues that are going on, I am going to fast in the same sense and frame of mind that I did last year during lent. I will refrain from eating at restaurants when I am paying for them. I am also going to try to refrain from buying things I don't need, in remembrance that God provides what I need and I can find contentment, thanksgiving and joy in that. There are automatic blessings that come from that: less calories consumed, and a lot more money in the bank.

No comments: