Sunday, September 28, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

In response to Nichole's asking (and in anticipation of Stacey asking =), here is the recipe.

It comes from Cindy Griesbaum from the Mt. Olivet UMC cookbook.

2 cans chicken vegetable soup
1 can chicken broth
2 cans water
1 large family sized can cream of chicken soup
4 chicken pot pies
oregano
thyme
salt/pepper to taste

Bake the chicken pot pies while you're heating up the soup base. When pot pies are done, put into the soup and use spoon to break apart the pastry.

I have made this soup quite a bit in the winter, and LOVE it. It's hearty, and filling, and makes a ton of soup. I'm a big fan of making this and taking it to potlucks.

It's even better as leftovers, because the pie pastry gets very much like dumplings. It gets thick - about halfway between a cream based soup and a stew. It also freezes well.

I made a variation tonight, using leftovers. I made three cups of chicken buollion broth, added about two cups of milk, threw in a can of cream of mushroom soup, added some leftover mixed veggies I had in the fridge, cut up the rest of an onion, half a bag of shredded carrots, and green pepper I had in the fridge, and some leftover chicken that had gotten dried out (the soup was perfect, because the chicken pieces picked up the moisture). I had the pot pies in my freezer, in anticipation of making this soup sometime soon. So yummy! I successfully used up all my leftovers and the rest of my fresh ingredients that would have gone bad after I returned to Chicago next week!

2 comments:

my3sons said...

Oh thanks Alison!!! That sounds delicious! And I think its something my family will LOVE! You know I have 3 big eating boys in my house and one big eating dog. I think this sounds like a good soup to try on Halloween when I have my annual soup night with them before the Trick or Treating begins!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, does that sound yummy!