Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Single Girls Love/Hate Relationship with Leftovers

It's hard to cook when you're a single person. I often feel like I'm throwing at least $10 a week in the garbage in un-eaten leftovers or fresh produce that's gone bad before I can eat it all (e.g. a bag of salad.)

I just had an I'm-proud-of-me moment. I had a girl's dinner party the other night at my house, and had a lot of leftover quinoa and veggies. I also had several chunks of yummy, yet very moldy, cheese. I took a little trip to the grocery, and made myself a casserole that is DELICIOUS!

I made some whole-wheat rotini while i cut the mold off my gouda and swiss cheese, then cut it into chunks. I threw my leftover veggies in the casserole pan with melted butter, chopped fresh garlic and some milk, then added american cheese singles with the pasta in the pan. I stirred it every few minutes in the oven, then added more american singles when necessary. I sprinkled some shredded asiago cheese on and left it in the oven another five minutes. The result? A very yummy casserole that I will love to eat on this week at work! I think I have about four-five meal-sized servings, and bought some turkey meatballs at the store to go with. A nutricious, balanced meal. Go me!

BTW - threw the quinoa in the freezer. I have plans to use it in place of rice and make chicken and rice later this month.

No comments: