Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Things All Over My Truck

Last night I was in Northbrook, and started out in a Starbucks parking lot. I was on the phone, and hadn't left my truck yet. I see some teenage boys climb out of an SUV parked next to me, and about five seconds later, hear/feel the back end of my truck jerk. I look up and hear one of the boys point at my truck and say, "You hit that, man! It's over here!" <"Over here referring to a football.>

So I step out of my truck, bc I'm concerned that there's a big dent (it hit me that hard) or that my tailpipe is still intact. The boys start running across a VERY busy street. I pick up their football (my truck is fine) and say, "Hey! Guys! Did you just throw this and it hit my truck?" They ignored me and RAN across the second part of the street. That's when I yelled, "Hey! Don't throw a football at my truck and then run away!" But they totally did. So I climbed back in my truck and resumed my conversation.

About two minutes later a woman comes out and gets in the SUV. I get out and talk to her, and give back the football, and she's MORTIFIED that her boys did that. She was so nice and was like, "Are you okay? Is your truck okay?" Then she said, "You know 15 year old boys..." I responded with a "Yes...I do..." and a knowing nod. Later on, though, I thought to myself how inappropriate of her to say that. It's one thing to brush it off as silly 15 year old boy behavior when they're goofing around with a football and they damage or break something and they apologize for it...it's quite another when they run away when they do it. If I am ever in her shoes, I will go get said boys, bring them back to the truck they just hit, make them apologize, and then arrange for them to do something for said person (e.g. hand wash and detail the car.)

When I came out to my car after my appt...I found cicadas all over it. I was like, "Cicadas, NO!" trying to get them off my truck. I was very careful in opening the door, bc I didn't want them to climb or fly inside. I called a friend and was like, "We don't currently have them in the city, and I don't want to single-handedly be responsible for bringing cicadas in who will mate and drop eggs back in our soil to re-birth in 17 years!!!!

No comments: