Monday, June 11, 2007

Cicadas, Schmicadas

So the cicadas aren't in the city of Chicago, although they are annoying the smack out of the suburbanites. Apparently they go where the new trees are, and there are no new trees in the city. Hence, I have not laid eyes on a cicada, yet.

Until, this morning, that is.

I was driving on the expressway, with my window rolled down. I was very groggy due to a Sudafed and the sun beating down on my face. All of a sudden, I see something flying at me (it looks like the size of a large dark rock) and it smacks me in the face and ricochets off of me. About 3 seconds later, a GINORMOUS bug smacks into my windshield and gets stuck in the windshield wiper. It's so big and so messy I'm afraid to turn the wiper on to unlodge it. I get back to my office, and see a bug as big as my thumb laying on the seat next to me, still a little alive. I all of a sudden say, "I think that's a cicada!" Turns out, I was correct.

I can't experience new things in normal ways...I have to get smacked in the face with them. Flying Fish story, anyone?

2 comments:

Amy said...

I almost jumped out of my chair reading. I'm sure I would have screamed like crazy and had a car accident. Way to avoid that!

Anonymous said...

Cicada in the face? Instant death for me. Your courage is impressive.

Piper loved the cidada photo. It made her giggle.