Sunday, February 4, 2007

Denver....

It’s day two in Denver, and it’s already been an adventure.

I arrived on Friday night, and we met with some folks from Urban Youth Worker Institute and the Denver Reload hosts for dinner. We ate at BDs Mongolian BBQ. (Brian – I know you loved that!!) It was a lot of fun, but kind of turned into a late night.

We woke up early Saturday morning, and I had a slight headache and a full nose. As I blew it, I realized it was a bloody nose. I had completely forgotten about the altitude issue, and didn’t do my research to find out what to expect and precautions to take. The air is drier than Chicago (didn’t expect that one) and my hands got so dry so quickly that I was scratching and scraping them just from rubbing against the fabric of my purse. Factor in that I am a shallow breather, and I had a bit of a rough day. I’m pretty tired right now. I felt like an old lady when I left the general session at 8:30 because I was so tired I could hardly stand up. =)

I came back to my room, and my boss was there. (Quick fun sidenote about her is that last night there was so much static electricity in her bed that there were blue sparks flying every time she moved.) She was like, “Oh…yeah…I didn’t even think to warn you that you can get really sick here if you’ve never been here before and your body isn’t quite used to it.” I’ve also had several people tell me they always get sore throats in Colorado, and various other ailments. Some of them are people who come here two, three times a year to ski. I was like, “If you always get sick and feel like crap, why do you come here?” =)

I am enjoying running into all the people, though. I just want to not feel tired and to stop having bloody noses (currently have another one.) =)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Yikes! Take care and have fun.