Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Stupid Boys

I took yesterday off because I had to work all weekend. It was blissful. =)

At any rate, a good guy friend of mine called in the afternoon to chat. He asked what I had for lunch, and I shared that I had pulled a piece of lasagna (that I made) from the freezer and made some garlic toast to go with it.

To which he replied, "You eat a lot of junk."

I was totally startled and taken aback. Number one: he's old enough to know better than to say something like that to a woman. Number two: I made the lasagna. Anybody who knows me, knows that I cook my meals to Weight Watchers specifications. I only use Splenda, substitute eggs and the healthy margarine with omega 3s to reduce cholesterol. My lasagna used very little cheese, whole wheat pasta, ground turkey and lots and lots of veggies. My garlic toast was whole wheat toast with enhanced fiber, the healthy margarine, and a little bit of cheddar cheese. Needless to say, I was defensive.

I simply said, "Thanks?" In a confused voice. Then he began his backtracking. He asked if it was storebought or if I made it.

I told my roommate, Chantel, who simply said, "Who the hell is he? He doesn't come over here enough to even have the information to say that he thinks you eat too much junk food." Then she proceeded to go into the, "anyone who knows you knows that you don't buy chips, you cook your meals healthy..."

He totally felt like a schmuck and apologized for saying it. After further conversation, a few self-deprecating comments slipped out of his mouth that led me to believe that he's not feeling so good about his own body right now.

Stupid boys.

Mommas, please teach your boys to NEVER say anything about food or body size to women, especially those that are very thin or very big. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so rude! I'll do my best to teach Graham never to say anything like that.

my3sons said...

I will and have always taught my sons to be very watchful of what they say to and about women. Your friend seems like maybe he needs to come have a "lady lesson" taught to him by none other than ME!!!! NOT NICE!!!!