Saturday, May 31, 2008

Avon Breast Cancer Walk

I just came back from breakfast with my friends Bree and Caroline at Ann Sather (BEST cinnamon rolls!), and we passed the Avon Breast Cancer Walkers. I saw some folks putting up directional signage yesterday afternoon around my neighborhood and campus, but didn't realize what it was for. I get so moved at the men and women who come and participate in this walk. They are raising money for breast cancer, and many are walking in honor of folks. People can choose between walking the distance of a half marathon to two marathons in two days. They camp out in a park over night. They were at mile 14. Traffic was going slow as drivers were honking and hollering their encouragement out the window, and lots of folks had come out with signs and were clapping the walkers on. I was so moved, I cried. I'm crying, again, just typing this. It was quite a sight to see.

It made me excited for next weekend, as I get to participate in my sister's Relay for Life team that is in honor of my niece Emily and my brother-in-law Paul. The church I grew up going to has a team that my sister leads, and I've never gotten to participate in it before. I'll post and have fun photos!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

#1 - I didn't know you had a blog! yeah. #2 - why wasn't I at breakfast with my 3 favorite chicago girls? #3 - YEA for MONDAY! Can't wait to see you and get a hug!