Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Indiana Jones = One Thumb Down

I saw the new Indiana Jones flick last night at a drive-in. (Score two extra points for you, Will!) While the experience was fun, the movie was kind of lame.

My friend Bree recently told me how excited she was about this movie, until she watched the three old Indiana Jones. She said she found herself saying, "Why did I think these were so great, again?" I think its because we've gotten spoiled by better cinematic writing and cinematography. At any rate, this flick fell REALLY flat for me.

One of the things I'm really appreciating about recent science fiction is how they are modernizing it and making it believable (e.g. Iron Man...I LOVED what they did with that!)

This one was one big unbelievable pile of hooey. (Sort of spoiler alert, although not really if you've ever watched an IJ flick - there's a formula that this one follows to a T.) It went from typical Indiana Jones, with double crossing agents, going underground in some pyramid, then 'almost' falling off a cliff/waterfall, to the underground space having bizarre boobey traps in it and collapsing. Then the end is just ridiculous. I won't spoil it for those who are going to see the movie, but I literally looked at Will and said, "what the h just happened?" I can't think of a more incredibly stupid, non-realistic end to a bad movie that I've ever seen.

The reason I only give it a one thumbs down? Cate Blanchett was great and I think this was a good career move for her.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I saw it over the weekend, too. I didn't hate it, but I was disappointed in it. I thought the part with Shia Lebeof swinging through the trees with the monkeys was so stupid...and it just wasn't as great as what I had remembered as a kid. But I think you're right, we're just spoiled.

Alison said...

Will told me on the way home that there was some debate over the script for this Indiana Jones, and that they kept sending it back for re-writes. Now I get why the first 20 minutes was completely non-understandable. Why was the original casket even an issue? Where did Cate Blanchett's character come from? And why, oh why, did they have to bring in the paranormal? Spiritual elements I understand, but the paranormal? I was so mad I wanted to ask for my $10 back! =)