Thursday, January 15, 2009

No More Salt

I received a thumbs up from my dentist, yesterday, which was fabulous.

My Dr., however, was not too pleased. She took my blood, and I should get results next week. She officially diagnosed me with hypertension, although she didn't prescribe me drugs at this time. She did, however, tell me NO MORE SALT! Just like that. Very kind, but forceful. She said absolutely not to salty snacks, and limited salt intake from other things. I expect she's not going to be happy about my cholesterol level, either.

I have to be more regimented on my diet and exercise to keep from having some serious medical issues. We might be exploring lap-band surgery, but I think my insurance makes you jump through some serious hoops for that. We'll see.

All that said, does anyone have suggestions for a salt-substitute? I'm not a huge lover of salt, but I definitely cook with it and prefer seasoned salt on things. My father isn't supposed to eat much salt, so he uses Mrs. Dash, but it's not quite the same. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Good luck!!

my3sons said...

I use Mrs. Dash alot. I also use an Italian seasoning that is very good from Pampered Chef. I will have to look at its salt content though. If you want, shoot me your email address through MySpace and I will see what I find out on the Italian Season thing. I'm a seasoned salt kinda girl myself, but with my significant weight gain and the desire to lose it before having another child, I have been choosing lower sodium foods and cutting back on alot of things myself!!