Wednesday, August 8, 2007

If I don't do it myself...

Does anyone else suffer from this sentiment: If I don't do it myself, it won't get done right?

I'm really not a micro-manager. I hate being micro-managed, and I could care less what method someone working with me uses to get something done...provided it gets to the completed stage and isn't completely messed up. If there's an aesthetic involved (e.g. tableclothes or signage) I could care less what it looks like, as long as it's noticeable, legible, is NEAT, and gets the job done. (I have learned the hard way that I can't always send a student worker to go buy things like wrapping paper and gift bags without being uber-specific about what I want...or I'll end up with giant bags with balloons or flowers all over them.)

Sometimes, however, I find that some people's help winds up with me having to spend so much time doing damage control or figuring out how to re-do the project without offending said person. The damage control (usualy pr-related) is common with crappy communications made on my behalf. Urg!!!

But let me also just say that for every headache I have from this type of thing, I have five other people who do great things to help me.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I feel this way on almost a daily basis. And please remind me to tell you sometime about what I'm calling the "2007 Comma incident."