Monday, December 3, 2007

To Whom It Concerns, My Name Is Alison

I have had...a day today. I decided my feelings about the day might best be expressed in drama form. Enjoy.

Scene: A cold, windy, dark Chicago early evening with a young woman standing on a sidewalk waiting to cross a busy street with no crosswalk lights. It's damp, with ice.

Said woman is shivering, hoping the stoplights on either side of the area will turn the right combination of red/yellow soon. A city bus is coming, slows down, and stops.

Said woman waves a thank you, and begins to cross street. As she reaches the middle, the oncoming car also stops. She begins to cross the other side of the street when...

Bus Driver, leaning out of open bus window and says: Hey pretty Momma!

Woman turns around, realizes bus driver is 'hollering' at her, and waves another thank you while saying: Thanks - have a good day.

Woman, aka Pretty Momma, crosses the rest of street and fades into the darkness.

Later that evening....

Woman is sitting on bed, with laptop, pulling up her online class. She has a group project and wants to see what her part of the assignment is going to be.

Project laptop screen on backdrop to see the name Andrea listed several times in the thread titles on the discussion board for group of four people.

Woman: Hmmm....my group is Cynthia, Bert, Sarah and Kate. It looks like Kate's our facilitator this week and posted what she wants us to do. Wait....there's no Andrea in our group. Maybe the professor shifted the groups and added someone....

Woman, after pause: Wait a minte, I don't see my name, Alison

Alison, after another pause, with a look of shock on her face: I think she means me when she says 'Andrea.' Wow. It's not like she hasn't seen/used my name multiple times in the past. To even get to our discussion board, you have to go past a list of our names, and my name's at the top bc both my names start with the first two letters of the alphabet...geesh.

Close laptop, fade out.

No comments: