Sunday, November 9, 2008

Firefighter For a Day

Do you have one of those lists of things you want to do or try before you die? I can check 'firefighting' off my list.

On Saturday I went with Amy to a ladies luncheon at her church. It was nice and very well thought out. We learned how to get a picture perfect turkey, as well as how to make center pieces.

About ten minutes after our arrival, an older lady at our table looked over at the dessert table along the wall and said, 'that almost looks like it's on fire."

Ummmmm....that's because it WAS on fire.

The centerpiece was a bunch of plastic/glittery pumpkins and fall foliage with three candles in the middle (with no glass around them.) I jumped up and tried blowing on the fire, but it was no use. It was escalating fairly quickly, and I was worried it would start burning up the wall within a moment or two, and this is a newly renovated church. Amy assisted by bringing me the water pitcher from our table, and I poured it over the flaming centerpiece and put out the fire.

The best part? The women coordinating didn't remove it or do anything about it. The desserts were served on the table, charred centerpiece and all, complete with water all over it. I daresay if you weren't on our side of the room, the ladies didn't know it happened, or notice that it was burned and wet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's an exciting church luncheon!

Amy said...

Someone came up to me at church yesterday to introduce themselves and actually said, "Hi, you're the one who helped to put out the fire yesterday." Yes, we always know how to make an impression.

Alison said...

I love that you're now a hero at your church, Amy!

Sandi said...

Hilarious -- I don't know why Amy left that out of her description of the day! (I'm a friend of hers in Columbia)