Monday, March 3, 2008

Foolishness: Oh the Struggles of Being Single

A couple of my girlfriends and I love to talk about the foolishness we experience from being single. These conversations mainly revolve around the foolishness of males who try to step to us in inappropriate ways. For example, I am often approached and/or touched inappropriately by men when I am out. By often, I mean maybe once every three months. Let's face it, I'm getting old, and I am turning into a homebody.

At any rate, I expect church to be a safe place. An 'inappropriate-free' zone, if you will. Yesterday, I learned that I have not seen it all. After this experience, it may be that I have.

I was greeted at the door by a man that I have met a couple of other times. He has always seemed really nice, and was actually someone I was interested in pursuing a friendship with. When I walked over to him, he took my hand and his eyes immediately traveled south and stayed there. We had a conversation that lasted probably 3-5 minutes, and not once did his eyes travel anywhere other than my chest and my hips. He never made eye contact, nor did he let go of my hand.

After church, a friend who was with me was like, "Yeah, Alleykat's got a fan club. That dude was checking you out!" I was so grossed out. First of all, I'm a person. Secondly, I can see where your eyes are looking, and it's not at my face. I find nothing more offensive than a man approaching me in such a fashion. Get to know me, then tell me you find me attractive. To have that happen in church did not make me feel attractive, it made me feel gross. Ugh.

1 comment:

Amy said...

That is SO not cool...